Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Smell of Early Summer

The full on heat and humidity that is normal par for the course during summer hasn't hit us yet. These are those few last golden moments before it does. I love the smell in the air. It is the smell of new green things and perhaps a hint of rain.

That smell reminds me of being a kid again and waiting for that magical first day of summer vacation...you know, before you are bored and hot and tired of it all.

When I think of summer I inevitably think of the paleterias that used to look forward to frequenting. My favourite was always a paleta de tamarindo, a love which I don't think many gringos have developed. I love the taste of tamarind. It is a taste that is somewhere between sour-pulpy and gritty-earthiness. The would put acidito and chile in the paletas, and the chile would settle like sediment in the top part of the paleta (ie. frozen upside down of course). I loved how gritty this part of the paleta was compared to the soury icy smootness of the rest of it.

A close second favourite was the coconut paletas (Nicole, hush!) I loved how there would be fresh coconut pulp in my popsicle, providign the same rough/smooth combination that I really love.

I guess summer is a bit like that in the south, rough and smooth together. Choking wet heat and miraculously clearing cool nights (if you are lucky). The sharp contrast of the sun so strong it stings your skin, as you jacknife into cool blue chlorine water....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home