Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Hey y'all, I'm home!

Yesterday, during a business meeting no less, I used the term "y'all" with absolutely no irony. I was secretly amused with myself. When I first moved to Australia it was one of the first texan-isms to leave my vocabulary (it's one of those words that SCREAMS "yank") and it just happens to be one of the very last to come back.

I guess it is the opposite to to-MAH-to and ba-NAH-na, both of which were some of the last 'strayanish things I picked up (and said with no irony), and some of the first to leave the vocabulary when I came back.

Granted, some texan-isms I never lost the entire time I was in the antipodes and some strayanisms (and scots slang) I picked up while I was there will probably never leave. I've now gotten to the point where I've forgotten the origin of some of the slang/expressions I use. For example, I used 'y'all" like this yesterday: "Bossman said y'all go ahead, he's stuck in a telco where everyone is gas-bagging about renewables. I'm chuffed to have gotten out of there"

Everyone I was addressing understood the y'all....had no clue what "gas-bagging" or "chuffed" was. It took me a minute to figure out what part(s) of the above they didn't understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home