Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Signs that my branes are lames....

Proof of my feeble brains (not at all a comprehensive list):
1. When I see the word "misled" in print...my brain pronounces it like this:
MY-zled. Which also leads me to believe that MY-zled is a different word from mis-led. Each with their own distinct meaning in my mind. Hence, if I read the word, it has a different meaning from the spoken word. I have the same problem with bristle...my brain? BRIS-tull. My brain also reads the words I'm speaking as I talk, so I have to watch myself that I don't say the word "MY-zled" or "BRIS-tull" aloud.

2. My brain refuses to believe that 9 is not a prime number, and that it's square root is 3. It also has no love for the number 11. It loves with an inexplicable love the number 47.

3. My brain can't comprehend the difference between megawatts and megawatt-hours. I have to perform math to prove to myself that they are two different values (and usedmeasure to different things, ie. one is capacity and one is volume) EVERY SINGLE time I have to deal with them. Which is daily in my work.

4. Sometimes my brain still uses spanish syntax, even whilst I speak english. So, that means that my words come out in a different order than I meant them to come out and leaves me pretty tongue tied and feeling dumb. I sometimes, to this day, speak engrish aloud. Or my brain interprets questions in a different way than an all-english brain would. I also still sometimes blank out in remembering the english word I'm looking for in my brains, but I can't necessarily remember the spanish one either. It's the bane of an ESL speaker who never had an advanced grasp of her first language. I feel like a brain injury patient...I know what I want to say, I just don't know how to say it. That's why I prefer written to spoken word, being able to see words make it easier for me to communicate. Hence, my hatred of the phone.

5. I still have to hold up my left hand and make an 'l' with thumb and first finger to remember which is my left hand sometimes.

6. I have the attention span of a gold fish. Lots of good ideas, but a lazy intellect to follow them, or even be bothered with speaking them aloud or writing them down.

7. Reading a book is quite visceral for me. So if a book "smells" funny to me, or "tastes" funny...I can't finish it. This has nothing to do with the subject matter of the book (ie. I love cookbooks, even if the food discussed doesn't appeal to me), it is a function of the print on the pages, the way the words are spaced out, the feel of the pages, the typeface, the way words are strung together/used to communicate and other aesthetic things that I can't beging to communicate to any other human being. On generous days, I try to convince myself that my brain has some weird unique native math that it uses. On not so generous days, I get frustrated with myself for being so picky when I can't even articulate what it is that bothers me.



2 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger paul kennedy said...

I grew up 'smelling' books, I loved all the different kinds of ink and paper.
Weird, I know!

Paul

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here re: "misled"! And the book-smelling stuff? Yep. That, too. And I have a whole "thing" about numbers and math ...

(Jodi)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home