Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Drive Time

I've been doing a lot of driving lately. Mostly in the evening. Ferrying dogs back and forth. It involves a lot of driving from one side of Houston to the other. Secretly? I love it. You have no idea. And, I'll deny it if you ever ask me directly.

I love driving down a two lane backwoods country road through the trees. I only wish there was less traffic.

I love to drive with the windows cracked so I can smell the warm scent of the piney woods and hear the crickets.

I love how the trees crowd in on the road and it is hard to see even with your headlights on.

I especially love it when there is a bright moon overhead that makes you feel as though you could see into the woods, or even drive with your headlights off.

I love how you can only drive so fast lest you arrive at the curve in the road ahead before you've steered properly into it.

I love the slight danger every time a big ass truck drives by you heading the opposite direction and how you are sure your car won't squeeze by it without damage.

I love driving especially this time of year when you can almost feel summer waiting right behind the spring.

I love to be alone in the car, with no radio, and only the sound of my engine and the crickets.

I have so many memories of driving these kind of roads when I was in highschool and how free I felt alone, driving through the woods. There were times in Australia when I would close my eyes when the weather was just right (those rare evenings with a hint of humidity), and remember what it was like to drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home