Monday, August 04, 2003

This is one trend that drives me around the bend. WTF?

(Ha! I had to corrrect my earlier typo, which had this reading: "This is one trend that drives me around the bed.")

I can not fathom this mentaility. Seriously. I left home at 18, and not resentfully either. Gladly. And have worked my arse off to remain independent all these years. Yes, I've made some sacrifices and lived through some pretty dodgy years (by sacrifices I'm being somewhat sarcastic, I mean that I've never been able to afford to alternate a chanel bag with a gucci bag. Vomit).

In my case, sometimes the poverty wasn't necessarily short-term. Actually, I can't say I was ever impoverished. Not really. I guess it is all relative. I've never been without a roof over my head and food on my table. And, I can say that I accomplished it all on my own doing.

I am proud of what I've done, where I've been, and what it took to get here.

"For many such people the relative discomfort of short-term poverty was a price worth paying in exchange for the promise of freedom offered by an independent lifestyle. " This is a statement that resonates for me.

I can't begin to understand the mentality of people that refuse to leave home and to grow up into independent (and contributing) beings. I can't begin to comprehend people in my age group that still call their parents "Mommy" and "Daddy" and indulge in other infantile language patterns with their parents.

I also can't understand parents that allow it. Seriously. Or parents that molly-coddle their children through adulthood.

My independence has always been my biggest priority, and I know I'm not alone in this mentality. I wish other people in my age group would grow the fuck up and quit embarassing "my" generation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home