Monday, March 03, 2003

The Art of Food

I love food. Not only eating it, but food itself. I love to cook. I love how the flavours and textures interact with each other. I love how food is emotional. I love the history of food, and its significance outside of nutrition.

I especially love collecting old cookbooks. (Obsessively, ahem....thank you ebay). My favourites are the cookbooks from the 1920s-1950s. These books are half-cookbook, half-social commentary. The cultural anthropologist loves the "handy hints for housewives" type advice. It makes me feel like I knew the women of those yesteryears.

Here's a little snippet for you from my 1927 copy of "The Fifty Two Sunday Dinners" a Woman's World Book of Tested Sunday Dinners. It promises "Practical Menus for Practical People." About Sunday Dinners (Making the Sunday Dinner the Easiest Meal of the Week):

"Sunday dinner should not, of course, be made the occasion for the family to overeat itself into Monday headaches and irritation, nor for the hostess and her assistants to be given extra work and worry, but with planning it can become such a pleasant event that the household anticipates it eagerly, and guests feel honored to be invited to it. Special dishes may be reserved for it, and the prettiest napery, china and glass brought out to beautify the table, with flowers or a little greenery to aid."


So sweet. In honor of this, I include the suggested menu for the second sunday in March (so you can plan accordingly):
Winter Fruit Cup
Pan-Broiled Steak
Oyster Sauce
Apple and Celery Salad
Mayonnaise Dressing
Finger Rolls
Creamed Potatoes
Spinach
Salted Peanuts
Pineapple Delight


Now remember, don't go to so much trouble that you end up with a Monday headache.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home