Tuesday, April 06, 2004

B12.....In with the In Crowd!(and hip!) (hip! get it?)

Um, I had a b12 shot once......does that make me happening and with it? I don't have a stylistic photo of it like this though...

Let me explain. My grandfather is a GP (still is, even though he's just turned 95!) At
the end of one of my semesters at Rice I was beyond exhausted. Done in. I remember I had a cold/virus/ick/something that just wouldn't go away. I had been only half-alive for weeks (and miles to go before I rested, etc). Finals were due. I was running on empty and I was beyond exhausted. My intrepid grandfather suggested a wee b12 shot as an alternative to dropping dead from sheer exhaustion and general "I've had enough"ness. Either that, or he figured the sheer pain of it would act as placebo enough for my body to pull itself up by its bootstraps and muddle through.

Um. That bitch hurt like you wouldn't believe. Like a tetnus shot! When was the last time you had one of those? They are WICKED painful. Immobilizing your arm for weeks. Like that. That's how a b12 shot is. Thick and horrible and bruisingly painful awfulness. That's why they give it to you in your bum., so that you don't become immobilized (like I did when I had a tetnus shot my freshman year...in my arm). Mine was administered by one of the ancient/wizened nurses that has worked for my ol' gramps for like forty years. The one with the scary long plastic fingernails. She said "You better hold on, because this is really going to hurt." No shit.

Not only did it hurt, it manifested itself a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I commented on that to my cousin Nunki (yes, that's his real name...Nunki Jesus) and he told me that some people take b12 shots in advance of going to the tropics. Apparently it makes you so hideously stinky to mosquitos that they avoid biting you. That information did not exactly make me feel better. I remember thinking "Great, not only am I exhausted and snotty and ready to die....I now am even revolting to mosquitos."

I don't know that it made me feel better. I guess it helped since I didn't die, and did in fact finish finals etc with little to no injury to myself or my grades.

Anyways, there you go....I was as cool as Naomi....and didn't even know it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home