Saturday, December 14, 2002

Pointless Prattle...(you know the stuff you really come here for)

Today the D and I travelled to the far west side of houston (Westsiiiide, baby!) so that I could look longingly at some gorgeous mod furniture (come on santa baby, I've been an awfully good girl this year). (God, yes, chaise lounges... there I said it.)

Since we were already way outside the loop (that's a houston expression, natch) we decided to visit one of the plethora of asian groceries that are located on that side of town. Oh hurrah-ity. I have now stocked up on noodles, sweet chili sauce, curry pastes and all sorts of weird and wonderful things that may or may not ever get eaten but are amusing and fascinating all the same. The bonus of this particular shop was that it wasn't as pungently smelly as others we have visited. I know, I know, I'm as white as can be... but fermenting fish stuffs is just a bit too sniffy for me. They did have some lovely fresh looking pig uteri though! Nums! I was tempted, oh yes indeed.

While we were trolling the aisles at "My Hoa" I spotted a little vietnamese sandwich shop in the far corner of the strip mall. Oh the joy of $2.00 roast pork sandwiches in "proper" bread (as D says) with lots of yummy coriander and salad and yumminess. Plus the fresh spring rolls were ridiculously good. And cheap.

That, my friends, almost makes the drive out to BFE worthwhile. Almost.

Actually D was in fine form today... god, he can be awfully funny sometimes.

After our little trek to the westside we foolishly decided we needed to stock up on vino and DIY goods (don't ask, it is boring as boring can be to buy pruning sheers and other assorted household chore-related implements). Fools! Don't you know people are out there doing "Christmas shopping" and buying alcohol like the world is coming to an end? Did I miss something? The bottle shop was pure chaos. Don't worry, I soldiered on quite well and picked up a couple nice bottles to help me through the week....plus some sake so that we can christen the chrissy gift(ie, and that's for you ms. j).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home