Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Days like today. These wet grey days... These are the days I miss Perth the most.

These were the weeks of delicious summer days. Still quite naughty and capricious. These were the days before the heat became common place and crushingly overwhelming. When the smell of the bush and sea seemed at their spiciest and sharpest. When afternoons hiding in the shade before a cold beer when the doctor blew in were still a lark instead of a necessity.

When sleeping with the windows open became an every night occurrence, and waking up to the cockies screaming overhead at approx. 5:14 am was a secret comfort. Before the sound of the fan drowned out the sound of the magpies and kookaburras.

I remember what it would feel like when that wind blew in down the terrace and tickled the back of my neck as I walked to catch my evening train. How all the gorgeous girls would have long ago ditched their stockings and pulled out the short skirts and sandals. How the gorgeous boys were never without their sunnies and sun bleached hair. Stopping to loll in front of a window full of yummy little summer clothes was always a welcome diversion. A smoothie always seemed like a genius and original idea.

I can't imagine living there just right this very moment....but I suspect it is in my future...somewhere. Somehow, there always has been and always will be Perth. Ridiculous little toy city that it is.

Until then, I remember what it was like to look down and see the white sand of city beach scrunched between my toes.....the dogs running in the foreground....chasing and being chased by the waves. And the sound of water water water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home